Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Choices


Setting at the drive thru, it came to mind that I had a choice to make. A choice among many choices. I saw MANY options. Some good, some bad. I knew that I needed a salad, but those chicken strips smelled so good! I'll not say the choice that I made. Let's just say it smelled good! 

As I drove away from the window with my food, feeling some what remorseful of the choice I made, my devotion from this morning came to mind. 

I have been reading an Advent Devotional written by the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. This morning was entitled, "Joy To The World!" the focal passage was Luke 2:11, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people." The statement of the angels to the shepherds. 

I love this portion the writer shares. "Today, you can choose to be discouraged because, truthfully, there's a lot to be discouraged about. You can choose to be angry, because there are a lot of things in this world that will push you in that direction. You can choose to be cynical. There's a lot to be cynical about. However, when you look to the Christ of Christmas, you can be filled with joy because, in Him, there is so much to be joyful about. It's your choice." 

Did you read that last statement? It's your choice. Wait, you mean I have to choose? Yes, you have to choose. Just like setting at that drive thru I had a choice of a salad, something that would be good for me or chicken strips and french fries, something that is not so good for me. Joy is a choice. It's good for everyone. 

However, just like the angels shared with the shepherds, only Jesus brings great joy! We will not find true joy in anyone or anything else! Jesus came that we might have joy. Not only did he bring joy, he is joy! 

These verse came to mind as I reflected on joy today. 

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 

"I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your may be complete." John 15:11 

I have a choice everyday. Everyday I choose Jesus, I choose joy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment