Monday, July 10, 2017

Who's Sharpening You? Who Are You Sharpening?

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me." Psalm 51:10-12


This morning during my time with the Lord, I was drawn to Psalm 51. As I read the Psalm, I thought about David, and his life. The beginning of the writing tells us that this Psalm, David wrote after Nathan confronted him about Bathsheba. There are two things that jump out at me as read this passage.

  1. David was confronted about his sin by his best friend (2 Samuel 12)
  2. The confrontation leads to David’s confession and repentance. (Psalm 51)

Who is your Nathan? We need someone who is willing to call us out. We need people in our lives who we can share with and talk to. Those who are walking with the Lord and will be obedient to the Spirit. We also need to be those people too. Seek out those relationships.

When we are confronted, we need to respond as David did. Confession and repentance are the beginnings of restoration with God. That is why those relationships are so important. If not, there is the possibility that we will not deal with our sin.

The enemy wants you isolated. He knows there is strength in numbers. Don't let him lead you to isolation. Seek out someone to be a prayer partner with. Someone who will encourage you, strengthen you in your walk and challenge you.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 21:17

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment