Monday, March 28, 2011

What does God really think?

I am amazed when I stop and think about the amount of time I spend reading other peoples blogs, Facebook updates, Twitter, etc.  There are some many opinions, feelings, perspectives, and thoughts that it can really be overwhelming.  The issue that has just jumped out at me for the past couple of weeks has been the uproar of the Christian community over Rob Bell's book, Love Wins.  It has been a fire storm of controversy.  I have just now begun to read the book and so far he has not done anything to change my mind or to make me think of less of him as a pastor, though I'm not sure he really cares about that.  What he has done though is ask some tough questions about what a Christian believer does in fact believe.  Is your faith really that, YOUR faith?  The Bible belt is full of people who have heard the Jesus story from the womb.  For many, the opinion they have is simply a regurgitation of what their parents or pastor believes.  Is that really what God wants?  For us just to have the same opinion of him that everyone else does?  I believe God is bigger than that.  Honestly, he doesn't need for us to form an opinion at all.  The Holy Spirit has done that work.  So what's the big deal?  I think God is please that there is so much discussion about him and the after life, but why argue?  At it's root, the main thing is that we keep the main thing, the main thing.  God is in control.  Things will be as he wants them to be.  I am glad that he loved me enough to make a way for me to experience him NOW and not later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment