Monday, June 15, 2020

In the year 2020



Its obvious that I'm not a regular blogger. You can look at my previous entries and see a pattern. I am an every once in a while blogger. So, here is my yearly or sporadic blog post.

In my forty years of life, the year 2020 has proven to be probably the most challenging of them all. A midst my own personal challenges, the world around me is experiencing several perils. On March 13, 2020, the World Health Organization announced that the COVID-19, Coronavirus, as a world wide pandemic. The United States had seen China, then Europe, experience the effects of this virus, now it was on U.S. soil.  Quickly, the normal activity of Americans was halted. Shut downs began and carried on for months. At the writing of these thoughts, there are still areas of the country that are on lock down. Restrictions are slowly being loosened. Unfortunately, as things loosen up, we're seeing the virus continue to make an impact. An impact greater in some areas now, than in the beginning stages.  This was only the beginning.

What followed that announcement and lock downs, was a season of distrust in the government, and a revealing of fear and selfishness among Americans. As information is released, many do not know who to trust. Both information about the virus and its spread, along with how to reduce the spread became political. Both parties in the U.S. trying to capitalize on the moment and divide America, creating sides. Not only is the nation divided, but states, communities, churches and families become divided. Yet, there is more to come.

On Monday, May 25, 2020, the video of the death of George Floyd was released. Just weeks after the video of the murder of Ahmad Arbury. These, among a list of other black citizens, who died a wrongful death, stirred emotions and reminded us that racism remains a problem here in the United States. This set off a series of protests, that led to riots. Cities torn a part, and burned. Many have died. Lots of anger and hurt have been stirred up and outwardly displayed. This also dividing America.

I have asked myself several times how hard it would have been to be a pastor or church leader in the sixties, during the Civil Rights Movement. Though many currently lived through that, there aren't many leaders of that time around, to my knowledge to consult with. These are very difficult days.

What can I do as a leader? What can I say as a pastor? I continue to ask that question, and seek the Lord. The Book of James, Chapter One says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish it's work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1:1-4. The wisest king in the scriptures, King Solomon writes in Proverbs Chapter Two, "My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding--indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:1-6

Right now, I believe it is important to listen and learn. I have prayed, and searched the scriptures. I have watched a couple of movies, and TED talks. I have asked questions of my brothers and elders. I have engaged in difficult and uncomfortable conversations. I have asked the Lord to open my mind and ears. I have asked him for wisdom and compassion. I pray for boldness.

Ironically, one of the reasons I do not blog much, is because I would rather speak than write.  This has been a problem for me for some time. Even though I have heard, "Think before you speak," all of my life. I usually speak my thoughts aloud as I'm processing and thinking. This can be a problem.  During this season I have tried to be intentionally quiet. The Book of James Chapter One, verse nineteen, instructs the reader, "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires." James 1:19.

So, here I am. Listening. Praying. James goes on to say in verse twenty two of Chapter One, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." James 1:22. I realize at some point there will be action. My prayer is that my actions are an overflow of the Holy Spirit, and not a reaction of my flesh. I pray for boldness.


No comments:

Post a Comment